(001) Dr. Franco King-Chi Leung studied his BSc in Chemistry (2011) at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University where he carried out his Masters research (2013) in catalysis and chemical biology under supervision of Prof. Man-Kin Wong. He expanded his research scopes in his PhD to supramolecular chemistry and material science under guidance of Prof. Takanori Fukushima in Tokyo Institute of Technology (Japan). In April 2017, he joined Prof. Ben L. Feringa's group (2016 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry) in University of Groningen, the Netherlands, as a postdoc fellow and later he was awarded the Croucher Postdoctoral Fellow, where he is developing photo-responsive soft materials of molecular motors and switches. Since June 2019, he is serving as an Assistant Professor in Department of Applied Biology and Chemical Technology, PolyU. His main research interests are dynamic supramolecular polymers, functional molecular assembly, and biocompatible functional materials.
(I) Postdoc Fellow
(II) PhD Student
(005) Mr. Timmy Leong-Hung Cheung completed his BSc in Chemical Technology at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2018. Timmy served as a research assistant, firstly in Prof. Wing-Yiu Yu’s group (PolyU) for the organometallic research. Later Timmy expanded his research scope to carry out research in Prof. Pei Li’s research team for polymeric material studies (PolyU). In Aug 2020, he joined our group as a research assistant to further enlarge his research scope. Later in Jan 2021, Timmy starts to carry out his postgraduate study in exploration of photoresponsive soft materials.
(011) Mr. Marco Ming-Hin Chau acquired his BSc in the Analytical Science for Testing and Certification from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2020. After graduation, he served as a teaching project assistant, under supervision of Dr. Kim-Hung Lam, to improve student’s online learning experience by integrating active learning strategies. In Apr 2021, he is joining our group as research assistant to start his scientific research journey in developing photocontrolled supramolecular co-assembled systems. Later in Jan 2022, Marco will start his postgraduate study in design and synthesis of visible-light responsive soft materials.
(III) MPhil Student
(007) Miss Khloe Shuk-Ying Kwan received her BEng in Chemical Engineering from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2019. After completing undergraduate studies, she intends to embark on materials design and applications. She has experience in synthesizing and designing metal-organic frameworks from the perspective of environmental protection. To further investigate soft materials for biomedical purposes, she joined our group as a research assistant in Sept 2020 with focus on photoresponsive gating systems. Later in Sept 2021, Khloe starts to carry out her postgraduate study in exploration of photoresponsive soft materials and photoresponsive gating systems.
(003) Mr. Sean Renshan Guo has received his higher diploma in Chemical Technology in 2020, and he is joining our Laboratory as a research student helper. Sean is a curious and responsible student who want to learn more knowledge. Also, Sean is interested to organic synthesis which inspires him to expand his knowledge. Sean has finished his final year project in the year of 2021/2022. Later in Sept 2022, Sean will start his postgraduate study with focus on synthesis and characterization of novel photoresponsive amphiphiles.
(IV) Research Assistant
(009) Miss Astra Ying-Ying Lui has finished her BSc degree in Chemical Technology at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2020. After graduation, she worked as a research assistant in Dr. Man-Kin Wong’s group (PolyU) for bioconjugation and photocleavable linkers research. Currently, she is serving as a research assistant in developing controlled drug delivery systems under co-supervision of Dr. Man-Kin Wong and Dr. Franco Leung.
(013) Mr. Anson Kwok-Hei Chau received his BSc degree in Chemistry and Biochemistry from The University of Hong Kong (HKU) in 2017. He was a research assistant in the Department of Clinical Oncology in the group of Prof. Maria Li Lung (HKU), before commencing his MPhil in Chemistry under the supervision of Dr. Ho-Yu Au Yeung (HKU) with mechanically interlocked molecules as his research focus. To further explore the scope of supramolecular chemistry in biology, he is joining our research group in Aug 2021 as a research assistant, focusing on the development of biocompatible photoresponsive soft materials.
(015) Mr. Jerry Chun-Kit Yau obtained his BSc in chemistry from the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in 2020. For his undergraduate research, he worked under the supervision of Prof. Jiang Xia and performed research project focusing on engineering of affibody molecules for targeted therapy. To further explore his research scope, he joined our research group as a research assistant in mid-Feb 2022 with focus on the development of photo-controlled soft material and its biomedical application.
(017) Miss Jessie Yikun Ren received her BSc degree in Bioscience from the Huihua College of Hebei Normal University in 2019. In 2022, she obtained her master’s degree in biology from Zhengzhou University. In her postgraduate research, she developed novel functional hydrogel systems for wound dressings and related applications. To further extend her research interest, she will join our research group in July 2022 to serve as a research assistant, focusing on the development of photoresponsive soft materials for stem cells studies.
(V) Final Year Project Student
(016) Miss Charlotte Yan-Yi Lam is studying her BSc in Chemical Technology. Before joining our team as a final year project student, she had served as a summer laboratory assistant in Prof. Pei Li’s research team to carry out bacterial time-kill test studies for CareCoatex antibacterial spray. Charlotte likes to obtain more experimental techniques in organic synthesis. She is now working on the characterisation and synthesis of amphiphilic Donor-Acceptor Stenhouse Adducts (DASAs).
(VI) Undergraduate Student
(012) Mr. Brian Boyan Liu is studying his BSc in Chemical Technology. In June 2021, he is joining our laboratory as a research student helper. Brian is interested in synthesis of complicated organic molecules and to obtain more experimental techniques and experience in Organic Chemistry and Supramolecular Chemistry. Brian is now working on organic synthesis and characterisation of novel photoresponsive molecular amphiphiles.
(014) Miss Chelsea Tesvara is studying her BSc in Chemical Technology. In Sept 2021, she joined our team as a research student helper. Chelsea is interested in learning organic synthetic techniques and supramolecular studies, understanding soft materials for biomedical applications. Chelsea is continuing her research student helper in 2022 Summer. In Sept 2022, she will start her proposed research project supported by Undergraduate Research and Innovation Scheme (URIS) of the Graduate School (PolyU).
(002) Mr. Money Wang received his BA in South China Agricultural University. Money is our honourable guest in Dr. Franco Leung research group, serving as our Glassware Cleaner and graphic designer.